L'Espalier's Cheese Tuesday - Head for the Hills with Alpine cheese expert Glenn Hills

This past Tuesday night was one of the better Cheese Tuesdays I've been to; hosted by Louis Risoli, Lauren Collins, Kevin Evers, and Glenn Hills, the night was a fabulous mix of good food, good wine, good cheese, and good song. 



The night started off right with an Off Broadway, comprised of bourbon, Atxa white vermouth, lemon, simple, and Peychaud bitters. Fresh bread and butter came shortly after.



The first course, Ahi tuna with veal sweetbreads and fresh garbanzo bean salad, was light and fresh, and balanced well with the springy 2014 Reale "Getis" Rosato from Costa d'Amalfi. 



Hot smoked salmon with roasted beets, green apple, and horseradish sour cream was up next, an amazing mix of flavors. I absolutely love roasted beets, though I'm not sure I've ever had them with salmon before. Paired with this dish was a grape I quite enjoy, Grüner Veltliner, in the 2013 Wimmer Czerny "Fumberg" from Wagram. 



On to the delicious charred sirloin from Pineland Farms, served with yummy roasted New Jersey asparagus and morel-foie gras ragout. A heavy wine was needed to stand up to this awesome dish, and the 2011 Álvaro Castro "DAC" Tinto, from Dão, did the job very nicely. 



The Alpine cheese tasting was up next, served with 2008 Bodegas Franco-Españolas "Rioja Bordón" Reserva from Rioja. 




The first three cheeses were all from Käserei Bütschwil in Saint Gallen, Switzerland: Güntensberg, Chällerhocker, and Schnebelhorn. I adore Alpine cheeses!




The final two cheeses were both from Bavaria, Germany. The first was Sternschnuppe from Kaskuche, and the second is Chiriboga Blue, from Käserei Obere Mühle. Somehow, I still had room for dessert, so I ordered up my favorite: chocolate praline tres leches with almond, hazelnut, and soy milk. I love Cheese Tuesday!

Comments

Popular Posts